How to create an aggregate? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Ray Aspeitia
Subject How to create an aggregate?
Date
Re: How to create an aggregate?  (Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>)
List pgsql-sql
Not sure if this made it through before I subscribed, so...

Hello all,

before I ask, this is what I have done so far:

-- created this new aggregate function
CREATE AGGREGATE groupconcat_array (    SFUNC = array_append,    BASETYPE = anyelement,    STYPE = anyarray,
initcond= '{}'

);

-- ran this select statement
SELECT array_to_string(groupconcat_array(oa.order_number), '|') ...

output is text : 46952|46953|46954|46955|46949

What I would like to do is just have 1 function that does the same thing like:

SELECT groupjoin('|', field2) FROM mytable GROUP BY field1

with the same output as my current implementation.

I tried doing that with the CREATE AGGREGATE in conjunction with the
FINALFUNC parameter set to array_to_string, but array_to_string needs
2 parameters to function. and I do not know the reference name of the
STYPE variable while it is in the aggregate function to pass to it. I
also would like to pass the delimiter to the aggregate as a parameter
and I am not sure if it can handle that.

I know that this is just being picky, but any insight would be
appreciated. Thanks.

Ray A.